Thursday, September 14, 2006

 
September 14th, 1912

Icehouse Wilson Born


I always sort-of wonder if people think I make these things up. I mean, "Icehouse" Wilson? Whose real name was George Peacock Wilson? That has to be made up, right? Well, it's not. I wish I could make these things up, but it's all the truth.

I don't know the story behind Wilson's nickname, I assume it's not for the brand of
beer popular with college students, the unemployed and anyone else in an economic class where the primary merits of a beer are how many of them can be obtained for under ten dollars. Wilson had one of those Moonlight Graham careers: one game, one at-bat (an out) and nothing else in the Majors for the rest of his life. That probable explains why information on him is so hard to come by, but does leave me rather unsatisfied.

Even with that unsatisfying lack of information, I can promise you one thing: Icehouse Wilson really did exist, he really did go 0-for-1 in his Major League career. Other than that, it's all a mystery to me.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares