Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 
September 12th, 1934

Albie Pearson Born


I'd like to say there's a logic behind how I pick my entries, and while occasionally there is, today is far more representative of how these blog topics get selected. I noticed the name Albie Pearson and immediately recognized it only to realize that I couldn't recognize it since Albie's career, even the last few years, predates me by nearly twenty years. Armed with the knowledge that this Albie was clearly not the Albie I was thinking of, I went in search of more information.

As it turns out, the Albie I'm thinking of must've been Albie Lopez, who pitched from 1993 to 2003. But that started a new mystery, why would I remember that Albie? His best year was 2000, when he was eighth in the AL in ERA and won eleven games for Tampa Bay. Not really that memorable. Further investigation revealed, however, that in mid 2001 Albie Lopez had been traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Lopez, it turns out, was the losing pitcher in Game 5 of the 2001 World Series, recording only one out--a
Scott Brosius sac bunt--before Alfonso Soriano drove in the winning run for the Yankees. So that's why I remember Albie Lopez.

Of course, none of this (well, almost none) has anything to do with Albie Pearson. And being that Albie Lopez' birthday is recently passed, it only seems fair to give Albie Pearson his due. Pearson wasn't actually a bad ballplayer. A center fielder for most of his career, Pearson won the Rookie of the Year award in 1958 and would make the All-Star team in 1963 when he hit over .300 for the year. That was atypical for his offensive output though; he was close to a .275 kind of a hitter.

So there we are; that's the life-and-times of Albie Pearson in one neat paragraph and the life-and-times of how I pick these topics in two longer ones.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares