Sunday, August 27, 2006

 
August 27th, 1947

Jim York Born


In all the years I've lived, I've never met anyone with the last name of "York." I went to high school with a kid whose first name was York, but that's neither here nor there. I mention this because despite my total lack of experience with Yorks, there have actually been six in the Major Leagues. The best of them was Rudy York who was a seven-time All-Star and finished as high as third in the AL MVP voting.

The best name among the bench belongs to Tom York, who was born in 1851 and legally known as Thomas Jefferson York. Tom York played (as you might've guessed from his birthday) in baseball early days, so much in the early days in fact, that he was able to lead the league in games played twice with eighty-six and eighty-five respectively. As for today's birthday boy, Jim York was probably the third best York who ever played (behind Rudy and Tom) although he wasn't really much of a player. York pitched seven years, totaled two hundred and eighty-five innings in the 70s and ended with a 3.79 ERA and a record of sixteen wins and seventeen losses.

Now that I've written all this, of course, I'll go into work tomorrow and discover that there is a "Mr. York" waiting to speak to me. But now, Yorks in the Majors is holding a six-zip lead on Yorks I know.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares