Friday, June 23, 2006

 
June 23rd, 2006


Update!


One of the nicer things about the increased audience for the blog--topped 18,000 yesterday, many thanks as always--is that people write in and fill in details of stories I would otherwise never know. This happened earlier this month with the help of Scott Sanders. Today we have another update, one that answers one of my famous "What the hell...?" entries: Joe Cicero. As that entry reveals, Joe "Dody" Cicero had a brief career that included bits of three decades: 1929, 1930 and 1945. At the time I speculated that perhaps Cicero's relation to Clark Gable had something to do with his returning to the Majors in 1945.

As it turned out, I was way off, as I know now thanks to an e-mail from a reader. Baseball was actually not Cicero's best sport (as a quick glance at his statistics indicates) but rather football. During the baseball off-season, Cicero returned to Canada and played football there, apparently making more money than he did playing baseball. When his football career ended, Cicero went into scouting for Connie Mack which makes his 1945 appearance logical, given it came for the Philadelphia A's, Mack's club. Clark Gable, as you might've guessed, had nothing to do with it.

Cicero apparently retired to Panama shortly thereafter (Mack left the A's in 1950, so perhaps Cicero went with him) and he lived until 1983 when he died in Florida. So many thanks to my readers for their help solving mysteries, and if you think you can be of service (or if I can do something for you, I'm unemployed these days with lots of free time), please don't hesitate to contact me via the address on the left.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares