Tuesday, May 17, 2005

 

May 17th, 1979

Phillies Play at Cubs


One of the things I do at every game I attend is keep score. I even have a scorebook that I've taken to every game I've been to and recorded since the end of the 2002 season, which includes a couple of notable ones that I might at some point blog about. I'm pretty easy when it comes to keeping score, I like to make sure I get things right, but I'm not fanatical, I don't keep balls and strikes, for instance. My pet peeve when it comes to scorekeeping (excluding when I write in the wrong thing, switching to pen was bad idea in this regard) is when a team bats around, forcing me to move over into the next column and the drawing a little box to indicate that it isn't in fact the next inning, but rather, still the previous one. (I get especially worked up when a team makes it last out right after batting around.)

This Cubs-Phillies game then, would have been a nightmare for me to score, and not just because I wasn't even a glint in my mother's eye in 1979. Although it went just ten innings, the final score was--you might want to sit down here--Phillies 23, Cubs 22. I'm not going to do a play-by-play, we'd be here all night, but I will rattle off some highlights. The Phils went up 7-0 in the top of the first, as Cubs starter Dennis Lamp recorded just one out. Evidently distracted by dreams of a blowout, the Phils watched their starter Randy Lerch record just one out and the Cubs came back to the tune of six runs. Both teams batted around in the first, and both touched my particular nerve by having the bat-around man (in this case, the leadoff hitters) make the final out of the inning. In the third, the Phillies batted around again, scoring eight runs, and putting them up
15-6 after three innings. The Phils added more and entered the Cubs half of the fifth leading 21-9. However, in that fifth the Cubs batted around--steam would have been coming out my ears at this point--and scored seven runs, making it 21-16. The Cubs would tie the game in the eighth, but the Phillies scored one in the tenth to take the victory.

The hitting star of the game was probably Mike Schmidt, who went 2-for-4 with 4 walks. Both of Schmidt's hits were home runs, and he drove in four runs while scoring three himself. Bill Buckner went 4-for-7, including a fifth innings grand slam which accounted for four of his seven RBIs, along with two runs scored. Every pitcher except the Cubs' Ray Burris and Phils' Rawly Eastwick gave up at least a run, while Tug McGraw had probably the worst appearance of his career, allowing seven runs (four earned) in just two-thirds of an inning. Eastwick was the pitching star of the game, going two full scoreless innings, more than the rest of the pitchers combined.

A game like this is interesting to look back on, and must've been quite a trip to watch. But I'm sure glad I didn't have to keep score.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares